Make your own “diving fish” using baking soda & vinegar.
What you need: Water, tall glass container (like a vase), baking soda, vinegar, small food – like raisins, beans or grains
What you do:
- To make your own diving fish, you’ll need a few things from your kitchen. First, fill a glass vase with about 16 ounces of water.
- To make bubbles, you’ll add baking soda and vinegar to the water. If you’ve used 16 ounces of water, then a tablespoon of baking soda and ½ cup of vinegar will be plenty.
- For your “fish”, you can try out different small foods, like beans or grains, to see whether they float or sink. We added raisins and barley in the video..
- Watch your diving fish zoom up and down!
Questions to explore:
- What different kinds of small foods can you try?
- Why do some float to the surface of the water easier than others?
- What’s carrying them to the surface?