Foam pool noodles aren't just for summer! There are so many ways you can use a pool noodle to make learning fun. Here are 10 ideas to get you started.
For all of these activities, I cut the pool noodles into pieces with a knife (just like slicing bread). There are different colors, sizes, and shapes of pool noodles that can add a twist to any of these activities.
1) Use the pieces for a giant lacing activity. We laced ours onto a piece of rope. Tie one noodle piece onto the end so the rest do not fall off.
2) Make a tall tower and knock it down. How tall of a tower can you make?
3) Make a pattern.
4) Sort them by color or size.
5) For younger children, match the color or shape of different noodles.
6) Write the letters of your child's name on the noodles to put in order. My three-year-old had so much fun with this activity. We did it over and over again.
7) Write numbers on the noodles and count as you put them in order.
8) Write letters and put them in alphabetical order as you sing the ABC song.
9) Use the noodle rings to spell words. Lace three pieces onto a rope and tie it between two chairs. Spin the pieces to spell words. On the first noodle piece I wrote the letters d, m, b, l, p , s. On the second noodle I wrote the vowels a, e, i, o, u. On the third noodle I wrote p, g, d, t, m. We turned each piece to spell words we knew and silly words too.
10) Pretend play! The kids used these noodles on their hands and feet to pretend they were different animals. They pretended it was food in their play kitchen, and they made tunnels for their cars.
The possibilities are endless!